Not going to lie…these kind of look like dog food. But in terms of dog food, these oats would be prime steak—this porridge is GOOD! Sweet, salty, apple-y and full of spice and autumn flavors. It’s fall in a bowl. Think a candle smoldering in the windowsill, slow-cooked apples filling your grandmother’s kitchen with the scent of cinnamon, and browning sausage in the oven making your mouth water. For my fellow plant-eaters, never fear—there’s veggie sausage! You may not want to eat it every day, (there’s some shady stuff in veggie sausage) but sometimes you just need a hearty, savory sausage, ya know? These cozy oats will keep you warm on these chilly mornings—and if you’re feeling generous with your (delicious!) dog food-looking oats, I bet your pup will enjoy them too!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 cup milk of choice or water
- 1 small or 1/2 large apple, diced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Splash of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 or 2 sausages or veggie sausages (depending on how hungry you are)
- Topping ideas: toasted walnuts, toasted pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon almond butter
- In a small saucepan, heat milk or water and most of the apples over high heat until it begins to simmer
- Add oats and cook 5-7 min (now is a good time to cook your sausage!)
- Once the oats start to puff up and absorb the liquid, add vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Cook until oats reach your desired consistency. Top with toppings of your choice and enjoy!