I was lucky this week: I had an extra cooked sweet potato! Why am I getting so excited over a sweet potato, you ask? If you’ve never added a sweet potato to oatmeal, take my word for it and do it as soon as you can muster the patience to bake one (I do not have this patience—this is why I get excited over having them!) The addition of sweet potato takes “fluffy oats” to a whole new level—it’s like the texture of brownie batter or gooey cookie dough. Brownie batter for breakfast? That is a yes from me. In this recipe, I paired brownies with one of my favorite herbs, rosemary, fresh from the garden. Chocolate and rosemary is a match made in heaven—oh, and to top it all off, I added ACTUAL brownies to my brownie batter oats! A little sprinkle of sea salt makes for the most delicious, fudgy, sweet, salty, chocolate-y, cozy, scrumptious bowl of oats ever. This is the oatmeal of dreams, you guys. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed (you can leave the skin on or off)
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt (plus more to top)
- 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Topping ideas: chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, cocoa nibs, crumbled brownies, toasted walnuts, toasted almonds, almond butter, chocolate chips
*Note: if you’ve never tried them, Japanese sweet potatoes are delicious in this recipe! They are a white variety of sweet potatoes that are sweeter and creamier than their orange counterparts, making for a more brownie batter-like porridge. You can find them at most grocery stores.
- Place milk/water and rosemary in a small saucepan and heat on high until it begins to simmer
- Add oats and sweet potato and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once the oats have puffed up and absorbed some of the liquid, add vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder. Continue to cook until oats reach your desired consistency
- Once cooked, place in a bowl and top with toppings of your choice and a sprinkle of sea salt. Enjoy!